The Battle of Oppy is the next World War One battle mentioned in Angel of Mercy.
Here are some facts about the battle.
When: May 3 and June 28 1917
Where: Arras, France
Who: The nations involved were
- Great Britain
What: The major events of the battle were
- The May 3 attack had mixed results. The British were stopped by German resistance, but the 1st Canadian Division captured the town of Fresnoy.
- The June 28 attack resulted in the British surprising the Germans and capturing Allied objectives.
Why: The attack took place because
- The skirmishes were part of the large Battle of Arras.
- Capturing the highlands was of strategic advantage, offering a view of the surround area.
- Casualties were less than 2,000.
Prior to today had you ever heard of the Oppy Wood? Leave a comment below.
Enjoyed reading this post? Join the mailing list and receive updates in your inbox whenever a new post is published. Simply enter your email address in the form on the bottom right of this page.
Latest posts by Melina Druga (see all)
- Army General Staff College Played a Critical Role in the American Expeditionary Force - May 31, 2017
- “I Researched the Novel I Always Wanted to Read” - October 5, 2016
- An Update on My Writing Career - July 1, 2016