The Canal du Nord is the next World War One battle mentioned in Angel of Mercy.
Here are some facts about the battle.
When: September 27-October 1, 1918
Where: Calais region, France
Who: The nations involved were
- New Zealand
What: The major events of the battle were
- Canal du Nord was an incomplete canal near Cambrai. Construction began in 1913, but work stopped with the outbreak of the war.
- On Sept. 2, the Canadians and British had broken the Drocourt-Queant Line, a system of defensive lines built by the Germans.
- The Canadians led the attack, crossing a dry canal, and clashing with the Germans.
- The Germans retreated to their fortifications on the Hindenburg Line.
- The attack took place because
- It was part of an Allied offensive to prevent the Germans from regrouping and launching their own attack.
- Several Canadians received Victoria Crosses for their bravery.
- Canadian casualties totaled 30,000.
Prior to today had you ever heard of Canal du Nord? Leave a comment below.
Enjoyed reading this post? Join the mailing list and receive updates in your inbox whenever a new post is published. Simply enter your email address in the form on the bottom right of this page.
Latest posts by Melina Druga (see all)
- World War I Led to Prohibition - August 14, 2017
- At This Rate It’ll Take Me 100 Years to Finish My Novel - August 4, 2017
- America’s Preparedness Movement - July 31, 2017