My life will never be a reality show. It would be cancelled immediately for low ratings. Who wants to watch me sit in front of a computer all day?
Even the lives of household-name authors would never be primetime viewing.
It seems people are under the impression that authors are either one of two things: People who write as a hobby or people who are millionaires. Neither is accurate.
Successful writing takes hard work, time and talent.
Freelance writers must spend eight hours a day or more doing the following tasks:
- Answering emails
- Answering and making phone calls
- Customer service
- Attracting new clients
- Querying magazines
- Quoting prices for jobs
- Miscellaneous administrative tasks
Authors also must research, write, edit, answer emails and phone calls, network and market.
In addition, they
- Query agents.
- Attend book signings.
- Speak to the media.
- Constantly come up with the next idea.
- Develop a thick skin to deal with rejection and negative reviews.
Only the lucky and persistent strike it rich.
When you hear the word “writer,” what adjectives come to your mind?
Have questions about what writers and editors do, contact me to submit your questions.
Latest posts by Melina Druga (see all)
- Erich Maria Remarque’s All Quiet on the Western Front - September 26, 2017
- The Committee on Public Information - August 28, 2017
- World War I Led to Prohibition - August 14, 2017